Monday, March 12, 2012

contemplate creation


Poverty and humility allow us to contemplate the goodness of God in creation because they make us free to see things for what they are, unique, unrepeatable loved-into-being gifts of God.
Compassion,Living in the Spirit of St. Francis Ilia Delio, O.S.F.

Today I made myself honor a project I started back in the fall. I collected and pondered and googled and finally planted this little garden. I may be learning some simple humility from this little garden of succulents. I love to water and dote on my plants and for these I usually care for them too much... and as if in protest to my hovering they rot their roots and run from me. I will try this time to be patiently hands off, and love them into their potential beauty with just my eyes, to contemplate in my heart what the gift is here. How much help can God's great creation need from me?

I am delightfully thankful for this beauty and the beauty all around me. There are more and more sounds of nature as clouds part, the air warms and winter moves into spring. I hear in scripture that the people of God are impatient and thirsty and longing for water and for the fulfillment. They too require that patience that comes from God.

Christ moves from what appears to be a ho hum life as just a man to Jerusalem where he is revealed as the Messiah, the covenant promise the full revelation of God. Let me Lord, have the grace and patience to go the whole way with you to be completed by your love and made who you want me to be.

1 comment:

  1. The waiting. That is always the hard part. Watching grass grow...didn't you say that too? Being in this moment I guess helps with the waiting. I love the little garden. I have to be happy with cut flowers in my current living arrangement.

    ReplyDelete